Monday, August 15, 2005

After The Downpour

Preparing for new fish!

Step one: Sterilize the aquarium. I bombed the aquarium with every medication I could think of since hauling it out to the driveway to scrub everything with Kosher salt was impractical.

Step Two: Siphon out the old water. The ucky old water was transported to the drain at the back of the house with our fancy siphon/garden hose contraption we bought a year ago when we were moving.

Step Three: Holy Crap! It's not supposed to rain!!! It rained. I mean it RAINED. The sun room flooded. The bedroom closet flooded. Our back porch area became--a lake. When I opened up the back door, water whooshed in, practically floating Misty's water bowl away. Water was even pouring through her dog door! As the water level rose, I was praying that E would be home before the it reached the living room carpet! Fortunately, the rain dwindled away and E dashed home, rescuing the carpet. Nevertheless, the sun room was filled with a mixture of murky rain and foul aquarium water.

What a mess! And yet, how amusing as well. Ironically, we used the monster siphon contraption to suck the water out of the sun room--we were sure to put the hose outlet far away from the drain!

No comments:

Post a Comment