Sunday, September 24, 2006

Goth Nipples

 I haven't gotten around to posting my breastfeeding drama(s) yet, but I just had to post this.  Naturally, I plan to nurse Tyoma exclusively for the first six months and I ambitiously hope to continue for one whole year. It's something you do for your child that will impact him/her for the rest of their lives. Well anyway, after a few extra days in the hospital with attendant  nursing problems, I came home and worked on developing a painful case of mastitis. 

Did I say painful?  Heh. Thrush is painful.  Mastitis, meh. Got thrush two weeks ago on a Saturday and liked to have died. Bless icepacks and Diflucan. And bless Sarah Seamstress, who took care of my agonized self at nine in the evening.

Two weeks on the antifungals have passed, and I was still itchy/burny so I called my lactation consultant for help. She suggested more Diflucan and painting my nipples with Gentian Violet. Gentian Violet is like iodine, except it is purple-black and it smears and stains everything.

Since I have lost all modesty with the birth and breastfeeding, so I'm tempted to post a pic of my grotesque deep-purple nipples for your amusement. But I am restraining myself. Egor observed me painting my  poor  monstrously huge nips and laughed, "You've got Goth Nipples!" That struck me as being outrageously funny.  That's all. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment