Sunday I was gripped by malaise. At noon I realized I needed to force some activity upon myself or I was going to spend the entire day staring at the dog. A trip to Barnes and Noble at the mall was just what I needed.
I was surprised to find big glossy paperbacks on Katrina already on bookshelves. After everything I have read online, these slick publications seemed especially mercenary. It took ten minutes in the puzzle section to restore my good humor. I found a delightful book to add to my library, The Most Brilliant Thoughts of All Time , by John Shanaham. I love quote books!
After the bookstore, I decided to stroll the mall and people-watch. Since it was Sunday, the inevitable church population was on parade. I am not a religious person who values evidence of one’s piety, but the clusters of well-dressed hand-holding senior citizens charmed me completely. I also noticed that parents had brought four entire soccer teams to the mall to frolic. Shrieking ten-year-olds overran the Halloween Bootique. Although the pandemonium cut short my visit to the Bootique, I realized that if I were there with one other person, I too would be dashing about, shrieking, "Look at this, look at this!"
An hour of walking and watching cheered me immensely. I eavesdropped on two goth girls at Hot Topic--I do not lament tinyness of Topic tee-shirts alone. An elderly gentleman surreptitiously tickled his serious white haired companion at J.C. Penney’s. I joined the spectators at the Aquasagge, and shared a laugh over a soccer mom’s squeals of delight and surprise. I left the mall feeling happier, and in the perfect mood to peruse my new book of quotes.
I was surprised to find big glossy paperbacks on Katrina already on bookshelves. After everything I have read online, these slick publications seemed especially mercenary. It took ten minutes in the puzzle section to restore my good humor. I found a delightful book to add to my library, The Most Brilliant Thoughts of All Time , by John Shanaham. I love quote books!
After the bookstore, I decided to stroll the mall and people-watch. Since it was Sunday, the inevitable church population was on parade. I am not a religious person who values evidence of one’s piety, but the clusters of well-dressed hand-holding senior citizens charmed me completely. I also noticed that parents had brought four entire soccer teams to the mall to frolic. Shrieking ten-year-olds overran the Halloween Bootique. Although the pandemonium cut short my visit to the Bootique, I realized that if I were there with one other person, I too would be dashing about, shrieking, "Look at this, look at this!"
An hour of walking and watching cheered me immensely. I eavesdropped on two goth girls at Hot Topic--I do not lament tinyness of Topic tee-shirts alone. An elderly gentleman surreptitiously tickled his serious white haired companion at J.C. Penney’s. I joined the spectators at the Aquasagge, and shared a laugh over a soccer mom’s squeals of delight and surprise. I left the mall feeling happier, and in the perfect mood to peruse my new book of quotes.
No comments:
Post a Comment