Two months ago, I would have been embarrassed of my scruffiness and filed this picture away. Now, I'm proud of my slightly combed, definitely unwashed hair. My lack of make-up reflects a sensible woman, and even my discount watch is a statement of pragmatism. Around the house, I wear my regulation comfy clothes and simple hairstyles. Out there, I fret over appearing appropriate and agonize over details of my attire. I do want to look pretty, but I don't need to be squeezed and painted into attractiveness.
Rachel Cohen-Rottenberg's slide show inspired me to share photographs. One person's bravery can give courage to many. Seeing her childhood photos sent me on a personal expedition. What would I find? Although I started out looking through childhood pictures, I ended up focusing on my adult snapshots. I learned more about myself than I expected. After the jump, a few more pictures for you!
![]() |
| My favorite shirt in the 90's |
![]() |
| Another pic of the shirt with joyous whoo-hoos and flapping |
![]() |
| Jazzed to be at White Sands Natl' Monument |
![]() |
| Painting in Moscow |
Again and again, I see a happy face in my old photographs. I am a sunny, cheerful person. During my first year in Russian, I celebrate finding a chicken coop with hooting and jumping jacks. Here I am in New Mexico, flapping and yodeling, carried away by the brilliant glimmer of gypsum sand. Despite my sometimes crippling anxiety, I have an intense capacity for joy. Understanding that these strengths and weaknesses come from a neurological disorder helps me to feel more centered and in control. A lifetime of confusion and displacement evaporates.
I plan to share more pictures and thoughts, but I will get quite caught up in scanning and organizing. Just so you know, I will be having buckets of fun and might not come up for air for some time!





The second face is one I know and love best. You once said to me - words I'll never forget - "The only opinions that matter are of those who know and love you." As always, I bow to your wisdom.
ReplyDeleteThank you Doober! You made my day! :)
ReplyDeleteAfter a long trial, I have found those words again. I did not realize that motherhood would push me into the world of normal expectations. I've let go of normal and returned to a deeper, more fundamental me. Yay!